Friday, May 29, 2009

Mediterranean Cruise--Day 1...Leaving Barcelona

Here are the last of our pictures from Barcelona.
(These pictures are pretty small...you can see lots more detail if you click on them to make them larger)

First, check out these graves scattered across the side of a mountain...

As we walked around the downtown area, we noticed all these tall, narrow side streets where people live. The apartments look so interesting & colorful, with flowers & laundry on every balcony....
Many of the narrow streets had arched walkways over them like this one....

I LOVED the balconies!! So rustic & charming....

This one was my very favorite....


And I was fascinated how people used even the skinniest little window balconies, on all sorts of buildings (notice the bikes in the center left)....



And there were orange trees everywhere!....

I appreciated the architectural details on many of the old buildings....

































Notice the roman pillars on this one....
And here is the local McDonalds!!....
As we headed back to the ship, we walked down the main boulevard "Las Ramblas", with blocks & blocks of outdoor markets, artists, and sidewalk cafes....


Then it was time to leave Barcelona. We watched our first sunset as we sailed away from port. Out to the Mediterranean Sea and on with our cruise!!....


4 comments:

  1. This totally makes me want to go to Barcellona now. I LOVE the ornamentation around all of the window! I guess you have to use your balcony for your clothes. It's not like your running to the local laundr-o-mat next to the chinese food place like you do here in the U.S. Would you get in trouble if you picked oranges? Are they protected or obviously on someone's land? Just wondering. I would be curious what a Barcelona orange tastes like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I agree with Jen -- can someone take me to Barcelona?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful pictures! Greg and I are hoping to one day go on a mediterraniean cruise . . . these just cement that idea in my head all the more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm totally jealous.

    ReplyDelete